Bang Pa-In Royal Palace, also known as the Summer Palace, that was used by the Thai kings. Situated along the Chao Phraya River in Bang Pa-In District, Ayutthaya Province, The Royal Palace at Bang Pa-In has a history dating back to the 17th century. According to a chronicle of Ayutthaya, King Prasat Thong had the palace constructed on Bang Pa-In Island in the Chao Phraya River. In Thai history books, it is said that King Prasat Thong was an illegitimate son of King Ekathotsarot, who in his youth was shipwrecked on that island and had son by a woman who befriended him. The boy grew up to become the Chief Minister then usurped the throne and became known as King Prasat Thong. The King erected a monastery, Wat Chumphon Nikayaram, on the land belonging to his mother on Bang Pa-In Island. He then had a pond dug up and a palace built to the south of that monastery.
It is believed that the palace was neglected and left in disarray for years, until the 18th century when it was revived by King Rama IV of the Chakri Dynasty, better known in the West as King Mongkut. He had a temporary residence constructed on the outer part of the island that became the site of the Neo-Gothic style monastery, Wat Niwet Thamprawat. The present-day royal palace dates from the reign of King Chulalongkorn (1868-1910), when most of the buildings standing today were constructed from 1872-1889. Today the palace is used occasionally by Their Majesties King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX) and Queen Sirikit as a residence and for holding lavish receptions and banquets.
Wat Mahathat, The Temple of the Great Relics, is located almost right in the center of Ayutthaya. Apart from being the symbolic center where the Buddha's relics were enshrined, Wat Mahathat was also the residence of the Supreme Patriarch or leader of the Thai Buddhist monks, Phra Phuttha Chinnarat. The temple is believed to be built during the 14th century A.D. You can see that the main prang or the tall tower-like spires, was the most important edifice in the temple compound. The tall tower-like spire collapsed during the Ayutthaya period, but was then restored. Then it collapsed again in 1911, and the only foundation that remains today is base of the spire. You can easily imagine from the size of the base, that the spire tower was quite high and majestic as in most architecture of the early period of Ayutthaya. Wat Mahathat also offers the most photographed Buddha head in the world. The most photograph image of a head of the Buddha is of the head of the Buddha in a Bodhi tree, where the tree trunks and roots have grown around it making it truly a unique sight to see.
Wat Phra Si Sanphet means “Temple of the Holy Splendid Omniscient”, was the holiest temple on the site of the old Royal Palace in Thailand's ancient capital of Ayutthaya. The temple is not only a significant historical site, but also considered as the spiritual center for Thais. Situated within the Royal Palace grounds, Wat Phra Si Sanphet is also the Royal Monastery and therefore no monks are allowed to reside in it. The temple was used to conduct ceremonies within the Royal Court. It was the grandest and most beautiful temple in the capital and it served as a model for Wat Phra Keaw in Bangkok that we see today. The city of Autthaya including all the temples and its compounds were completely destroyed in the Burmese invasion in 1767, with the exception of the three Chedis that can be seen today at Wat Phra Si Sanphet.